Monday, November 20, 2017

Twelfth Night

         After reading acts I and II of Twelfth Night by William Shakespeare my mind immediately went to the class of fourth graders at the Tunbridge Charter School. The past few months working with the students and Ms.Gladden has been eye-opening and given me a new appreciation for teachers. I go to Tunbridge on Mondays from 8-10 am which is not the best time, the early morning and on top of that it's a Monday I am tired and I can see as the fourth graders walk into class they would rather be in their beds as well.
Shakespeare's play made me think of the students and the tricks and jokes they play on each other. They laugh and giggle with each other and keep secrets. Shakespeare's play is also about romance and even though these fourth graders and around nine and ten there's romance going on in that class! The other day in class two girls sitting in front of me asked a boy sitting next to me if his friend likes her friend. I know this sounds a little complex but reading the play it immediately made me think of how even in fourth grade and the 1600’s not much has changed. Orsino is not going to tell Olivia how he feels but has Cesario tell her instead.


No comments:

Post a Comment