Monday, September 25, 2017

Baltimore Museum of Art


Baltimore Museum of Art

Samuel Williams

              Yesterday, I visited the Baltimore Museum of Art with a couple my roommates, and it was more annoying than I thought it would be. The Museum was much larger and had many more exhibits than I was expecting considering the size of the building from the front. Thankfully there was no entrance fee because I don’t want to pay for anything I don’t have to.

              The exhibits that I enjoyed the most were the tile floors from around the 3rd century and the modern art exhibits. I enjoyed these exhibits for two very different reasons. I liked the tile floors because I thought it was amazing that those floors were so intricate and are still intact after such a long period of time is such an astounding concept. I specifically enjoyed one floor where there is a tiger stalking a deer like animal. I liked this one the most because it was the most detailed of all of the floors I had seen. The only thing I didn’t understand as much is how archeologist are able to transport the tiles in one piece and then proceed to hang them on the wall.

              The modern art exhibits were interesting for another reason, the simplicity of some of the pieces was ridiculous to me. There were some paintings and sculptures that were so simple and basic that I felt like they could have been recreated by almost anyone. For example, there was a painting that had two rectangles, one on each side of the canvas, and they were a solid grey. It just annoyed me that someone could pass that off as art and make money on such a dumb simple painting. It made me realize how much I could dislike some modern art that is considered abstract, but in reality, is a square on another square.

              The Yellow Wallpaper by Charlotte Gilman is about this woman who is depressed however her husband is a physician and does not believe in such mental conditions as there is no cause. They go to a country house and she is basically under house arrest and she slowly goes crazy due to loneliness and the fact that she was not being treated. I think that the constant denial of her condition prevented treatment and therefore worsened her case. Her husband was arrogant to think that she was getting better by rejecting the obvious signs of her mental condition, which also may have to with the fact that he wished her better. Despite his reasons for denying her condition it is evident that she was crazy when she started to tear down the wallpaper.

              The poem I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud by William Wordsworth talks about the connections and inherent beauty between man and nature. He compares himself and others to clouds and daffodils in the first stanza which is what connects humans with the theme of nature. Then he continues through the poem describing the beauty of nature. I believe this poem also speaks to solitude and how it is not nearly as bad as people may think, but can be as peaceful as nature.

              In The Birthmark by Nathanial Hawthorne a scientist and philosopher marries a woman who is exceptionally beautiful except for a mark on her face. He decides to try and make her “perfect” by removing the birthmark, and she reluctantly agrees. When they move to his laboratory the narrator starts to talk about all of the insane claims that he says he can do, along with his many failures. This foreshadows her impending doom. I think that this story speaks towards perfection and how it is unattainable and we should find perfection in imperfection.

No comments:

Post a Comment