Friday, September 15, 2017

Breaking Down Barriers and Creating New Relationships

Lucy Fanto

First event/service Blog Post


Breaking Down Barriers and Creating New Relationships

When I first came to Loyola as a freshman, one of the main things that stood out to me was the sense of community I felt on campus. I didn't know my roommates, classmates, my way around campus or any teachers but automatically felt like I belonged. It was comforting knowing that although I was somewhere new, in a diverse community, I could still find my own place. 

As I started reading the poem "Mending Wall", by Robert Frost, I began to interpret it the same way as my experience as a freshman at Loyola. The reason for this is the way that a wall is described as a barrier for two figurative neighbors. The wall separates them by their differences and the differences can be seen by everyone around. This idea is apparent in the line that reads, "The gaps I mean, No one has seen them made or heard them made, But as spring mending-time we find them there (9-11)." There is a strong divide in society today between people of different races, cultures and communities and many barriers are put up between these groups of people. But as the poem goes on, we see the author recognize that there does not need to be a wall built between neighbors. He finishes the poem by saying, "And he likes having thought of it so well, He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."(44-45)". I interpreted the end of this poem by the author wanting to create relationships with his neighbor even though they have many differences in their lives. We have to work to break down those bridges in order to create bonds with others. 

A strong sense of a connection is also being used in Jill McDonough's poem, "Accident, Mass. Ave.". The poem describes that narrator feeling a sense of anger and frustration with a woman who has accidentally hit his car. He describes his thoughts and reactions after the accident and proceeds to get out of his car and yell at the woman. But the interesting part of this poem is the last stanza that discusses what the narrator said and did to the woman. The stanza reads, "I hugged her, and I said We were scared, weren't we? and she nodded and we laughed." This quote and the poem as a whole, not only addresses the relationships people make amongst differences and disagreements, but the sense of patience and humility that someone can have in this situation. In a taxing and frustrating time it is easy to respond with anger, but it is a satisfying challenge to respond with kindness. 

One of the other readings, "Learning to Read", by Frances E. W. Harper, talks about a deeper relationship with God. He discusses his desire to read the bible, and what he endured to do so. The relationship between a person and the God that they believe in, is one of the most important bonds possible. The last line in the poem specifically addresses the author speaking out and having a conversation with God.

Finally, the last reading by Fr. Peter-Hans Kolvenbach called “The Service of Faith and Promotion of Justice in Jesuit Higher Education” discusses the mission and calls upon the slogan, "The service of Faith and the Promotion of Justice". The jesuit tradition is so much more then just an order or a type of education. To be a jesuit or to follow the jesuit tradition, is to shape your entire being. They work to make connections to God, one another, and the rest of their communities by completing service and prayer. They work for change and improvement of the world as a whole. 

I think that the reading about the Jesuits and their promotion of higher education relates to the previous reading and the service learning that I will soon participate in later this semester. All of the readings, in some form, referenced a type or relationship, either with a neighbor, an enemy, God or just yourself. They addressed the reactions and connections made and the characteristics that should be present in these relationships. Being raised catholic, and having a significant amount of jesuit experience in my education, I have learned to really value all aspects of my faith and my relationships with others. I have worked to adapt and challenge myself to be the best catholic and person that I can be. These readings have only made me more excited to begin my service at Tunbridge Public Charter School. I can't wait to make relationships with the children and teachers and grow more as a catholic. I will work to have make connections with the students even though we are different, just like in Robert Frost's work. I will strive to have patience with them and treat them with care and kindness, similar to Jill McDonough's poem. Finally, I will use this experience as another way to strengthen my relationship with God, as seen in Frances E. W. Harper's work. 

My anticipation for service learning continues to grow and I am looking forward to see what this new chapter brings to me and my classmates. 



























No comments:

Post a Comment