Saturday, September 30, 2017

IEXAMEN 1: Communication without Restraints

Communication Without Restraints
Caroline Dennin

            Friday, September 29th- I wake up, check my phone for messages, scroll through my social media, and then, I finally converse with my roommates. Why is my phone the first form of communication I use instead of the people actually in my presence? My only assumption relies on the idea that our world is communication obsessed- all day, all night, all over the world- people are in constant communication. This ability is something I overlook in my everyday life but this day I dedicated myself to analyzing every aspect of the way I communicate with others and conversely, how others communicate with me.
            Back to my cell phone, compared to my friends I would say I am not as reliant on it; however, this does not mean I am not always on it. As I read through my messages of the day, there is so much to say about communication via the means of texting. First, there is little to no grammar consideration- I spell things wrong and I abbreviate. Secondly, there is no sense of reality in the conversation- as I start to notice this, I yearn to hear the other person’s voice- the conversation feels emotionless. And third, there is miscommunication as I constantly fight with my sister via text about what clothes she is and is not allowed to steal from my closet. Texting, a major form of communication in my daily life, started to appear as less valuable when I compared it to real-life interactions.
            I do not have any classes on Fridays and this was communicated very clearly by the leggings and sweatshirt I got dressed in that morning. My attire said to my roommate how comfortable I was and how I planned to spend my day in a more relaxed setting. As we spent the morning together, our conversations, as almost always, consisted of joking, complaining, and trivial topics. However, this Friday afternoon stood out from most because I had an interview for a club I am hoping to join. My outfit for this encounter communicated a completely different message. As I met with the board of directors with my hair straightened attired in my nicest blazer, suit pants, and blouse my appearance told them how prepared I was for the interview. In this conversation, my posture also spoke miles. I sat as straight as a board and made constant eye-contact to deliver a professional sense of myself. The comparison between Friday morning and Friday afternoon made prevalent how unspoken things go a long way in communicating for themselves.
            Today, asking a teenager to go the hour without their cell phone or any technology would be likened to asking them to part with a limb for the day- It is sad, but honestly it is the truth. From this exercise I have learned being unplugged from technology is a blessing, not a burden. To see the real impact of this separation I tried to do a daily activity in which I usually am attached to my phone but this time without it- I went on a run and honestly, the difference was unbelievable. I had no music blasting in my ear, no way to keep track of my distance, and no distractions. As I ran through the beautiful neighborhood in Baltimore, a path I run a few times a week, I notice way more- I can see the leaves changing colors, the smiling faces of kids playing by the pond, and I can hear the sound of the wind. I am more observant and more appreciative for the path seeing it for what it truly is without any distractions. I even stop my run to take in my surroundings, something I would not have ever done before. Another blessing which took me by surprise was not knowing the time. I am the type of person that relies heavily on a schedule but without the time I felt free of pressure to run faster.
            Once I was reunited with my phone, I felt entrapped to it- to catch up on everything that I missed over the last hour, when in reality- I did not miss anything I couldn’t live without. Having my phone again only emphasized the liberation I felt without it. From this observation, I have concluded that communication in the form of technology places constraints. It is not possible to convey your message with the same emotion, delivery, and reality that you could via a real conversation. In my opinion, real conversation (in person) wins it all. And this is not just talking with my roommate while we both sit on our phones- the best way to communicate is face-to-face with no distractions because it allows you to observe more and take in more of the conversation.

No comments:

Post a Comment