Sunday, September 17, 2017

Excitement for Service Learning

As I first became aware of the option of service learning for Understanding Literature class I knew this would be a great opportunity that was very fitting to my personality and priorities. Once I learned of the possibility of volunteering at Soccer Without Boarders, I knew this was without a doubt a chance I could not pass up, as it combined two defining aspects of my past.
I have been participating in service and soccer for as long as I can remember. As a child, I would always participate in canned food drives and volunteer at the local soup kitchen with my religion class. As I moved through middle and high school I become more involved in the community. I learned how to combine my passions and interests with service. One of these activities was TOP Soccer, in which I would coach and teach children with special needs how to play soccer. I really enjoyed this and looked forward to going every Sunday morning. I developed real connections and relationships with these children and I was inspired by their excitement for the game. As for soccer, I have been playing since I was four years old. I have travelled up and down the east coast, from Massachusetts to Virginia playing in regional leagues. In addition to this I won a county championship with my high school varsity team. I truly belief Soccer Without Boarders qualifies as a perfect service opportunity for me.
I have many hopes and fears concerning volunteering at Soccer Without Boarders. I hope to teach the youth the game we both appreciate and love. However, I know the true message of the program is much deeper than this. There is much the children can learn from me, and in return, I can learn from them. I can learn from their past, their struggle, their joy and passion. I can use this to become a better and more well-rounded person. It is a goal of mine to be able to help the children academically, and with English language learning. The main fear I face is not being able to connect with the youth, but I do not find this likely. The universal language of laughter will always connect people, no matter where in the world they are from or what language they speak. I know my past experiences from service, especially TOP Soccer will help me in this service opportunity.
As for the readings from this week, Soccer Without Borders and the city of Baltimore can easily be connected to them. In the poem “Mending Wall” by Robert Frost he writes of two neighbors who occasionally meet to repair the wall that divides their property. The narrator appears to have more doubt over getting together and fixing the wall. However, it is the narrator who is the more active of the two in the repairing the wall. Fixing the wall allows the two neighbors to reach out and have a relationship with one another. This is similar to myself volunteering at Soccer Without Border. It provides an opportunity I would not typically come across to interact with the newcomer youth, and learn about one another.
The poem “Accident Mass. Ave” by Jill McDonough can be related to the community of Baltimore. In this poem two individuals proceed to yell and curse at one another after getting in a minor car accident. However, they fail to realize no damage to either of their cars has occurred. This connects to our community because many people are too concerned with hatred rather than assessing the situation and seeing real problems in society. The problem of starvation and poverty is widespread across Baltimore and must be fixed. The poem “Learning to Read” by Frances E.W. Harper relates to Soccer Without Borders because it shows the power that comes along with learning how to read. For many of the youth that participate in the program, English is not their first language and they struggle with it. I hope to help these children to learn to read and write in English so they can benefit from the power and intelligence that comes with it.
Lastly the piece “The Service of Faith and Promotion of Justice in Jesuit Higher Education” by Fr. Peter-Hans Kolvenbach can be connected to volunteering at Soccer Without Boarders. In this work, the importance of the Jesuit mission and service in the community is spoken of.  To truly be able to learn and impact the community, it must be done through direct experience in the real world. This service changes the mind and shows the importance of helping the less fortunate and making the world a better place. I hope to be doing this at Soccer Without Boarders, by helping the youth in whatever aspect I can, whether it be academically or socially.

I look forward to my service learning opportunity at Soccer Without Boarders. It provides me with an opportunity to serve the city of Baltimore and help those who need it. However, the experience I will partake in will teach me much about myself and the city of Baltimore. I hope to make myself a more enlightened individual through this service opportunity. 

No comments:

Post a Comment