Monday, September 25, 2017

No Real Version of Perfection

Lucy Fanto

Professor Juniper Ellis

Understanding Lit

September 25, 2017


No Real Version of Perfection

In the first service learning meeting, the director of CCSJ described the location that I will be participating in for the rest of the semester. Tunbridge Public Charter School is an 8 minute walk from Loyola. As service learners, we will be attending the school to assist the teachers with the students, as well as being examples and role models for them and their endeavors. We were warned of their different background and values, and although they may be different from us, we should work to break the barrier. The point of this service learning experience is to make a connection and a difference for these children and their community. 

After reading the reading by Nathaniel Hawthorne, I saw a connection between what we are suppose to do as service learners and how Aylmer should have treated his wife, Georgina. In the beginning of the piece, Aylmer says, "Georgina, has it never occurred to you that the mark on your cheek might be removed?". This comment then leaves to an argument between him and his wife of the true meaning of beauty and perfection. This personally related to service to me, because once I attend Tunbridge Public Charter School for the first time, I will enter an environment that as well lacks perfection. I don't think that there is a true version of perfection. Everything in life has flaws and it is how we work with those flaws to make ourselves better. When I attend the school, I plan on working to see the best in every student and teacher I meet. I hope to love each and everyone of them unconditionally like Aylmer should have done with Georgina. The best way to attempting perfection is looking past others imperfections. 

"The Yellow Wallpaper", by Charlotte Perkins Gilman is about a woman who is writing about her troubles in this yellow room. The speaker gives off a tone of confusion and insanity as she discusses her sadness, loneliness and allusions while being in the room. She also references the way she takes medication everyday and the lack of patience that her husband has for her and her illness. This passage to me, also related to the way I should act, while attending Tunbridge. When dealing with young children, sick or healthy, patience is a key virtue. It is crucial to value each individual child and give them the attention and help that they need to succeed. Although it can be frustrating at times, it is important to be consistent and kind when dealing with young children. 

Finally, the work, "I Wandered Lonely As a Cloud", By William Wordsworth, discusses the speaker wandering, daydreaming, and imagining images of clouds and flowers. I related this piece to the mindset of children and how they enjoy daydreaming. It is the job of the teachers to keep them focused and direct their attention while theyre in school to the lesson plan. But, I also believe that it is  also the job of these instructors to encourage this type of dreaming and imagination for children. I think that this characteristic is one of the best and most important in children. I am looking forward to working with them through service learning to encourage them to never stop dreaming. 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment