Monday, September 18, 2017

Pre Service-Learning Hopes

Pre Service-Learning Hopes

My service-learning at Tunbridge Public Charter School begins next week, and I couldn’t help but find numerous connections between this week’s readings and my expectations for volunteering. Tunbridge is described as a school which “focuses on the intellectual, physical and social/emotional health of students.” This statement alone gives me an idea of the mission of this school and the importance of educating well-rounded students. Along with Tunbridge’s goal of a well-rounded education, they place a focus on the arts. I knew that Tunbridge would be an amazing place for me to complete my service-learning, and after reading “The Service of Faith and the Promotion of Justice in American Jesuit Higher Education”, “Accident, Mass. Ave.”, and “Learning to Read”, I feel like I can make my time at Tunbridge even better by using the lessons and connections I took from the readings.

When reflecting on getting ready to start working alongside a teacher at Tunbridge, I have begun to identify my goals there. I believe that a good education is a solid foundation for a successful future. However, I think there is more to education than just reading and math. As a volunteer at this school, an ability to put yourself in the student’s shoes and situations is crucial. Tunbridge focuses on empowering its students to learn with many different methods. I believe that I will have a role in shaping the students educations, and ultimately their outlook on school and learning.

While reading “The Service of Faith and the Promotion of Justice in American Jesuit Higher Education”, I was fascinated with Peter-Hans Kolvenbach’s words on what being a Jesuit school means. Kolvenbach says, “Each one a unique individual, they all aspire to live life, to use their talents, to support their families and care for their children and elders, to enjoy peace and security, and to make tomorrow better.” (Kolvenbach 32) Though Kolvenbach is referring to bringing Jesuit values and the “promotion of justice” to schools, I believe his words can be applied to a variety of individuals who have a common goal—to live life to the fullest and to live peacefully. Tunbridge is for children in pre-school all the way to eighth grader. While a third grader may not know what they want to do with their life, I believe that in my position, I can help this kids discover their full potential and motivate them to be the best versions of themselves they can be.

“Accident, Mass. Ave.” also showed me themes which further helped me understand my role at Tunbridge. “Accident, Mass. Ave” tells a story about a man and women who got in a minor car accident and got into a heated argument due to it. Before seeing what damage (if any!) was done to their cars, they’re screaming and cursing only progressed. After seeing that neither car faced damage, the woman beings to cry and the man hugs her to reassure her that they were just scared. I really enjoyed this poem because it conveys such a powerful message while placing it in such a casual setting. Due to fear, both the man and woman reacted explosively to a situation they did not completely examine or understand. The narrator explains that, "there was simply nothing else for us to do" after seeing the lack of damage. By stepping back and finally examining the "bigger picture" without arguing, both the narrator and woman are able to laugh. While reading this poem, I thought about the importance of being able to see a situation without negative emotions overpowering your reactions. At Tunbridge, I hope to form relationships with the students that are not affected by preexisting ideas or emotions. I hope that the sense of communication is strong and that there is never misunderstood anger or sadness.

This theme of the importance of communication also ties into the poem “Learning to Read.” “Learning to Read” is narrated by a black woman living in the south, where people of color were denied rights to simply learning how to read, let alone an education. The narrator describes how the Yankees, or people from the north, would send teachers to help educate them. The narrator’s main goal was to be able to read her Bible on her own. She states,
“So I got a pair of glasses
And straight to work I went,
And never stopped til I could read
The hymns and Testament.”
The determination and longing the narrator and those she mentioned had to simply learn how to read shows how education is a privilege that we must not take for granted, but rather use for our own benefit. I believe that the students at Tunbridge must grow up and learn with the understanding that an education is cherished and powerful.


I am very excited to start my time at Tunbridge soon. I hope to show the students, teachers, and myself that understanding others and their situations, as well as embracing the importance of a strong education is very important to the students’ success and happiness. I can only hope that I can bring these fresh, young minds an amazing day at school when I am there., which also learning about myself and others.

No comments:

Post a Comment