Sunday, September 24, 2017

Intentions and Hopes for Service

Jonathan Ocampo
Service Blog #2
09/24/17

Intentions and Hopes on Tunbridge  
            As I entered the CCSJ common space for the Tunbridge Charter School service learning information session, I was welcomed by the sweetest greeting from Ms. Manal Arma. After Manal brifly introduced herself, she began to ask us how service has impacted our lives. She separated us into small groups where we could discuss our service background and attempt to connect with other students who had similar experiences. The information session highlighted what the purpose of the program was, and what exactly we would be doing. I was very elated to discover that we would be interacting with the students directly because I have experience serving at schools, and communicating with children of all ages. By going to the information session, my hopes and intentions only grew because I love getting involved in a close-knit community.
            As I began to read “The Birthmark”, by Nathaniel Hawthorne, the theme of striving for perfection quickly stood out to me. When Alymer asks, “has it never occurred to you that the mark upon your cheek might be removed?", he basically indicates that the birthmark on her cheek is the only flaw she can claim. This desire for perfection not only kills Georgiana in the end, but also makes Alymer fixate on making the perfect woman instead of seeing the good in his wife. Desire for perfection is evident in everyone’s lives, whether it involves school, sports, or love. During the Tunbrige information session, I asked myself, “What will happen if the students do not like me?”. The answer to this question highlights this major theme because I should go into service with a positive attitude and be myself instead of attempting to be the perfect teacher that the young students look up to. Perfection is not worth pursuing because you will overthink the experience and will not understand the true meaning behind your actions.
            In “The Yellow Wallpaper”, written by Charlotte Gilman the major theme of the importance of self-expression boldly stands out. As the narrator is stuck in a marriage, she realizes she must hide her fears and anxieties in order to protect what she believes is a healthy relationship. The narrator ultimately turns to keeping a secret journal where she can express herself. This connects with my intentions towards service because the best action you can show the children is how positive and happy you are to be there. If you show the students that you are excited about being at school they will start to see that school is not only important, but fun. Self-expression is crucial when interacting with children because, as role models, college students must show the students of Tunbridge how working hard and learning can open up a plethora of opportunities for their future.
            In the last poem, “I Wandered Lonely as a Cloud”, William Wordsworth begins to describe the unity between man and nature. The theme of nature has been reoccurring throughout different poems represented in class. This poem obtains vivid descriptions of nature such as “waves besdie them dancing” and “fluttering and dancing in the breeze”. This quality of this poem that I especially love is how Wordsworth provides evidence on how nature influences human emotion. He can describe a plain yellow daffodil in the most beautiful form by stating that they flutter and dance. Giving nature human qualities shows the readers how versatile of an artist Wordsworth and how he can connect human emotions to all sorts of nature from clouds to waves.

 My hopes and aspirations towards Tunbridge have been influenced by Manal and the CCSJ community. The program is very involved with their work, and want every student that participates to take something out of doing it. I am most excited about meeting the students at Tunbridge and meet new students who are participating in service. I hope to learn a lot from participating in service because I am starting to grow up and make my own decisions, and I hope that serving those in need follows me wherever I go in life.

No comments:

Post a Comment