Monday, October 2, 2017

iExamen 1

Annemarie Lukas
EN 101.14
October 2, 2017
iExamen 1

Saturday, September 30th


I purposely choose a day that I knew I would have to spend at work to complete this 

self-examination. I work at the front desk of an apartment building, and it is not always easy. 

There are always things that I wish I could say, whether to the residents that I work with, the

 prospective clients, or my coworkers, that I simply cannot. I spent my Saturday explaining 

how to pay rent online repeatedly, asking fellow employees to do things that I knew they 

never would, and trying to find ways to justify management ignoring a huge number of 

emails from residents.


I, of course, did not need a self-examination to know how I would spend the day. Every 

Saturday is nearly the same. This self-examination prompted me to be more aware of how I 

handle these situations and how dealing with them effects me. I started to notice that my 

outward attitude was completely different when I was communicating with someone related 

to work and when I was talking with a friend or family member. When a friend stopped by I

 was prepared to talk for days about my frustrations and I frequently sent texts that read 

something similar to “I cant wait for this shift to be over.” However, all of my communications 

with residents and coworkers were exactly the opposite. I was the picture of happiness. I 

sported a big smile and my voice even changed. Feeling one way and acting a different one 

was not something I previously realized had an effect on me, but I think that I become 

emotionally drained after hours of working in that environment.

No comments:

Post a Comment