Monday, October 30, 2017

iExamen 2

Andrew Piccione
iExamen #2
30 October 2017

            This second iExamen was much more challenging than the first because I was not free to speak unless I took time to recognize whatever what was about to come out of my mouth was kind, useful, and true. I live with four of my close friends that I have known since high school so my language or comments are not necessarily monitored because I consider them family. I wanted to keep this assignment a secret but when I was confronted on why I seemed unusual I had to share with them the purpose of this exercise. Of course, they made fun of me and even tried to guide me into saying things that would go against my 3 rules but it was only for fun. When I told my mother that I needed to keep my mouth shut and only say things that are kind, useful, and true, she laughed at me. I was known in my house for having a big mouth so my mother did not have much hope that I was going to conduct this assignment well, but I had other plans in mind.
            The first thing that I noticed from the moment I woke up and tried to have a conversation with one of my roommates is that I do not tend to think before I speak. I respond to things rather quickly and since I am in a comfortable environment I don’t try and regulate my language. Once I changed my way of speaking and spoke of things that are only kind, useful, and true I noticed that people have a more positive attitude towards me. You are more likely to be respected and cared for when you speak in a kind, useful and true way. I noticed that the people who are very negative are also harder to interact with if you want to keep a positive outlook on life. Throughout the day I even found myself avoiding certain people because I did not want to break my rule.

            Going into this iExamen I had my doubts because of the negative tones that I usually come cross in my everyday life and I knew I would have to refrain myself from saying anything that was not kind, useful, and true. I did not think that I was going to be able to make it through this assignment without a mistake but as the day progressed I started to adopt this new language well and not have to think so much when I spoke. Speaking in this way became more natural to me the more I spoke. By the end of the day I felt comfortable with my new language and had a positive outlook on the whole day. By speaking of things that are only kind, useful, and true I recognized that kindness can be spread in just a few words because it can really impact someones day. The main thing that I learned from this iExamen is your tone directly affects the person you are talking to. As children, we are told to think before we speak and I think that this principle is forgotten over time because we adapt and become comfortable with the language that is socially accepted around us. I think that our language is going to change countless times as we get older and soon we will have to adopt this language and speak of things that are only kind, useful, and true. I think that this language is beneficial for everyone because it is forces you to have a positive attitude. A small positive remark can impact someone greatly or even turn their whole day around. 

No comments:

Post a Comment