Sunday, October 29, 2017

iExamen 2


iExamen

              Samuel Williams

              On Sunday, October 29th I decided to take the day only saying what was kind useful or true, and reflect on it. I had anticipated that it would be somewhat difficult to remember to do this every time I talked, and this proved true as a couple times I would say something and before realizing I should not. Immediately after I would recognize my mistake and do better for the rest of the conversation. In all, I realized that what I said tended to have much more meaning and much more positive than normal.

              When I talk with my friends we often joke around a lot and the purpose is just to make the other laugh. This gives what I am saying some meaning but it is very unimportant. Today, when I would talk with them I found I wasn’t saying very much because it wasn’t very useful and could be a little mean at times. Once I noticed I wasn’t saying much I started thinking about it I realized that a large part of my friends and my humor revolves around very pointless things.

              Next, I started to watch the eagles game. This is where I made the most mistakes and broke the rules of this exercise because I would get really into the game and react without thinking. When I would think before I spoke the only things I would end up saying would be breakdowns of plays and the game to my friend. Other than that, I would just cheer. On most Sundays, I’ll be yelling at the television cursing the referee or a player for a bad call or a mistake. This change showed me that I get very emotionally involved in the game, whereas today I was much more analytic than normal. This analysis added much more meaning behind what I was saying as it was not the normal verbal garbage I would spew at the television.

              The rest of the day was more uneventful as it was full of studying and homework. The only other time where there was at practice. I did much less complaining about the run and weather, because it was miserable out when we ran, and it helped me focus better mentally and made me run better. There was also an outward effect on my teammates because I told them to stop complaining because it was annoying, then we started to talk about other things rather than just negative comments. This made the atmosphere much more positive which was a very good change since mindset is very important while running.

              Over all, it is evident that only saying what is truthful useful or kind resulted in a big change in mood and added more meaning behind what was said. It was an interesting day and I think it was a good exercise and will help me be more positive in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment