Monday, October 23, 2017

Finding Yourself

       As I read the readings for the week I had a hard time connecting them to my service that I do. Until I realized that each poem suggests a question about finding yourself.

      The poem "Tableau" by Countee Cullen poses the question what do you stand for? I connect this to my service because I am working with refugee children who have to stand for freedom and their independence that's why they are here. These children so young and innocent are just like the people in the poem "oblivious to look and word". These children are growing up and being influenced by me and the others around them. I realized that these children are constantly learning from me in the way that I speak and do things. They are contracting my ideas and values even when I don't think about directly teaching them to the kids.  In the poem the boys are standing up for love and unity and are facing the world despite the hardships they may face.

      In the poem "Theology" by Paul Laurence Dunbar, the question that is asked is what do you  believe in? I connected this to the kids because the kids believe in happiness and fun. They bond over playing soccer and understanding the fundamentals of soccer. I learned from the kids that sometimes its okay to let go of everything and just have fun and laugh and smile. The poem really questions the importance of value and morals in person. This speaker seems to have good morals in the beginning but twists their morals by the end. It seems as though this person doesn't understand what it takes to qualify for heaven or hell. I don't think that of us truly understand the concepts of heaven or hell but I would like to believe that my understanding is shown to the children I bond with everyday. In my service I hope that the children learn morals and lessons while not directly saying to them this is how to act.

    As I began reading Frankenstein, I also found a question that the book poses which is what do you value? While at service this past week the children wanted to listen to music while playing soccer so it showed they valued soccer and music. They also value the freedom they have here and the lessons they learn at school. In Frankenstein, Victor values life and the creation of life. I hope that my values are passed on to the children I bond with each week. I try to show the kids positive values and positive lessons that they can use not only on the field but in their everyday life.

    Each reading posed an important question which I face each week. I hope that as I grow in service the children do as well in learning from me like I am from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment