Monday, October 2, 2017

iExamen

      I woke up at 8:15am on Friday, September 29th to the sound of my alarm going off telling me to get out of bed so I can get to class on time. I woke up very anxious because I had a very important chemistry test at 10:00 am. I had studied the night before so I felt confident, yet very anxious. While waking up I decided to go on my phone as the slow process of waking up began to happen. At the same time, I observed my roommate doing the exact same thing checking her phone while she was eating breakfast. In this moment, I realized that our communication over technology has become very important aspects of our lives. It is the way we get in contact with others, how we communicate with others, and most importantly it is how we practically survive everyday. After getting ready for class, I began my day by putting some earphones in and walk to class. I realized that I am choosing to dedicate this time to myself, to allow myself to get lost in my thoughts and the music that is playing in my ears. In this moment I blocked out everything around me. Because I was observing how other people communicate I take this time to be very observant of others. I notice that many people like me decide to put some earphones in and walk to class. Maybe they are like me and choose to lose themselves in their thoughts or maybe they are the opposite of me and just like the quiet sound of nature. In any case while walking by each other everyone sends out a gentle smile or a laid back head nod. This is how we communicate, we acknowledge the other person but keep walking unless of course we really know the person then we decide to stop if we have time and talk for awhile. Some people like to walk in groups, they are communicating within in their group but also outside and saying we are friends. During class on Friday, I find that communication happens equally between student and professor. The professor communicates by talking but the students communicate through our body language. We say we are paying attention if we are sitting attentively and not drifting off to sleep. Students say they are here to learn by just showing up for class. After my classes on Friday, I walk to boulder to get lunch with my friends. When walking by I always pass through the Starbucks lounge area. I noticed that many people are studying together or finishing up some last minute homework or waiting in line to order their Starbucks. Whatever the case each person communicated in a different way. I noticed some people had tattoos some people had them because they thought they were cool and wanted one to be cool, but others had a deeper meaning behind them. I noticed them because some tattoos were a date with an image. I imagine that it is for someone or something pretty significant that happened in their lives.

    As the day went on I realized a part of my assignment was to be off my phone for an hour. My friends suggested that we go to out to dinner and shopping so I figured that this would be a great time to be off my phone as I would be distracted by my friends and not need to be on my phone. In this moment I felt almost left out because my friends were on their phones and I wanted to be also. At dinner however we all stayed off our phones and had a great meal. During this shopping trip I realized how people communicate through style. They show their interests and themselves in the way they dress. To go home that night we ordered an Uber and in this moment I realized we communicate with everyone in the slightest way whether it be in actually speaking, the way we dress, the way we text or use our phone, or our body language and body art.

    Before this assignment I thought that we didn't communicate as much as I saw us communicate. After doing the assignment I realized that we communicate so much that  there is really not a time we communicate. The biggest part of our communication has to do with the use of our technology.


No comments:

Post a Comment