Monday, October 2, 2017

iExamen #1

In today’s day and age, we are more reliant on technology than we may realize. It is easy to get caught up in our phones, computers, and other devices, simply because we use them for our daily tasks and entertainment. While reading this assignment and seeing that its main focus is to become more aware of how I communicate with those around me, and how technology plays a role in this, I was very intrigued and slightly nervous. I knew that communicating electronically was a huge part of how I stayed in contact with teachers, family, and friends, but I was excited to pay attention to it a bit more. I chose to examine myself on Friday, September 29. I was hoping to discover how noticing the Jesuit techniques of self-analysis, as well as paying attention to how big of a role technology plays in my life.
As soon as my alarm clock went off at nine in the morning, I had some negative emotions about the day because I was feeling a bit sick. I figured that since today would be my first day volunteering at Tunbridge, I should see how I was feeling as the day progressed so I could, hopefully, still go to service. I noticed that almost immediately after waking up, I checked my phone to see what I had missed out on while asleep. As the day went on, I found that I was feeling a lot better and able to go to Tunbridge. I knew I had to make a good impression at the school, so I made sure my appearance reflected that I was happy and excited to be there. After arriving at Tunbridge and meeting the teacher I was assigned to, Mrs. Grimm, I noticed that I made sure my body language was very open and friendly. In addition, I was a little nervous which I believe may have reflected in the conversation as well. I did not have to interact with any students today because it was parent teacher conference day, but I noticed that while at the school, I wondered what I may have missed on my phone and checked it almost immediately after volunteering.
I noticed that my interactions for the rest of the day were rather brief. Most of my interactions were electronic, which made me think a lot about how dependent we can be on texting, emailing, phone calls, etc. I also noticed that I seemed to use my phone as a way to disconnect with what was around me (i.e. calling my mom while walking to my dorm.) I chose to begin my one hour without technology before I had to go to work. Almost immediately, I found myself wondering what I could be missing in the electronic world. I was almost inclined to do something to keep myself “busy”, so I chose to take a walk to Starbucks. On my walk, without having a phone to look down at, I began to notice other people and their connections to technology as well. It was more common to see a student on the phone, texting, or with headphones in than it was simply walking and talking to others face to face. I also realized that by not having a phone to look down at while I walked, I was able to see and notice more of what was around me. I appreciated the weather and how pretty the campus looked, as well as saw some friends I never even noticed were in my path. Overall, this hour started out a little tough, but I ended up being very happy with the results.
As I was at work, I found that even though I had the option to use my phone and computer, I gravitated away from it unless I really needed it. I noticed that I kept all my interactions with my boss and students very friendly, which did not surprise me. One student came in to the office and I could tell by her body language that something was upsetting her/making her uncomfortable; I then saw how my body language reciprocated these feelings towards her, because I did not want her to feel upset. I also noticed that later on in the day, my roommate and I were in our room and I experienced a situation which made me very upset, causing me to be very quiet and not speak. My roommate picked up on this and told me she always knew I was upset, because I would randomly get quiet. I think it’s interesting how even a lack of speaking could say more than words could.

Overall, I enjoyed trying this Jesuit approach of self-analysis, because it taught me how easy it is to get caught up in technology. For now on, I believe that I will be more aware of my forms of communication, and try to remember that they do not have to be mainly electronic.

No comments:

Post a Comment