Monday, October 23, 2017

One Thing at a Time

After spending a few weeks at Tunbridge now, I am beginning to feel like I am really becoming a part of Ms. Sanford’s class and the school community. The students recognize me and know my name, look forward to seeing me each week, and constantly ask questions about my family and house back in New Jersey (a concept that baffles them). Each week when I arrive during their independent math work time, I walk around the room helping guide any students who are struggling towards the answers. Then during Word Study, I do the same, looking out for any students that might need assistance, and preparing snack. After word study is snack and “content” where students discuss anything from “tattling vs getting help” to holidays or current events. This time is often on the rug and there are a few students who are typically a problem during this time as they are unable to sit still or obey instructions. During content time, I am typically in charge of “dealing” with these students, keeping them focused, redirecting their needs, and implementing any discipline or consequences that come from their continued misbehavior. Next is either dance, art, or music, depending on the week, and during this time I either go with the class to their specials and help that teacher, or I stay with Ms. Sanford and help her with everything from photocopying, lesson-planning, grading, or classroom organization. My day at Tunbridge ends at lunchtime, where I sit with the students as they eat, this is my chance to get to know them and connect with each student. After lunch, I walk with the class to recess and head back to our campus from there.
            This week’s readings are all very different in terms of topic and content, but all carry similar messages regarding my time at Tunbridge. Dunbar’s “Theology” tells of the speaker’s perception of the afterlife, heaven and hell. He tells that he is sure there is a heaven, because he has always felt that in his soul, and that he knows there is a hell, because that is where his neighbors are destined. Although he lightheartedly expresses his distaste for his neighbors, he is also talking about big concepts like heaven and hell, and how his concepts of those- and their existence- are definite; it would seem that even if he wished there were no hell, there has to be, or else “where would my neighbors go?”. There is no way to change the fates of heaven and hell. In “Tableau” by Countee Cullen, we see another “definite” concept, that of the division of race. This concept is different, because it is not definite in nature, the way that heaven and hell are, but it is definite only because we do nothing to change it, accepting it as a fact. This is true until the two characters in the poem, a black boy and a white boy walk together, casting aside their superficial differences. Here, we see something that can be changed, even if not as easily or in the way one might hope. Our final reading this week is the first half of Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. A large portion of the first half of the book is about Frankenstein’s regret and agony over the series of events he has caused. The monster’s creator feels responsible for the death of his brother, his dear servant, and the grief that came along with these to everyone in his family. No matter how much he wishes he could, Frankenstein cannot “uncreate” the monster, and he cannot bring his loved ones back to life, or release his cousin and father from their anguish. However, towards the end of the first half, Frankenstein faces the monster, who gives him the choice either to help him, and he will be more than willing to leave him, his friends and family, and all other humans alone, or he can continue to scorn the monster, who will continue to unleash anger and destruction on those dear to his creator. Frankenstein may not be able to change his creation of the monster or undo his acts of violence, but he does have the choice to redirect these actions in the future.

            These readings, although carrying very different themes, all have a similar take-away with regards to my service-learning at Tunbridge: some things I can change, some things I cannot, and I do not have control over which is which. Although I would like to fix some of the things that happen in the outside-of-school lives of the students I work with, or completely eradicate the behavioral problems that go along with these factors, I cannot, and fixating on trying to change or “fix” these things will not help anyone, and may even do more harm than good. What I can do is make connections with these students, giving them one more person to talk with and build trust with, I can help the struggling students with their work in class to keep them from falling further behind, and I can use this relationship and trust to help keep them on track during problem times like content time on the rug. Even though I cannot change what a child’s home is like or “cure” a behavior disorder, I can make just as significant a difference in small pieces, like keeping them from getting frustrated while completing a math worksheet, or letting them tell me about whatever they are passionate about over lunch.

No comments:

Post a Comment