Sunday, October 1, 2017

Examen 1

           Before dedicating a day to analyze methods of communication, I was very curious as to how it would differ from my everyday perspective. I normally would consider myself a clear and efficient communicator, but I was interested in if this activity would make me think otherwise. I chose Friday September 29th for this activity because I knew I would be able to come in contact with many people, hence giving me the best chance to analyze as much as possible.
            I woke up at 9 am and I did not encounter any of my roommates before leaving. As I walked to class from Newman to Knott hall, all but two people were walking while looking down at their phones. I arrived to class and conveniently Friday classes are usually very participation-oriented which allows me talk to many classmates. However, I had a Chemistry test this week which decreased the amount of verbal communication but enhanced communication through body language mightily. Although I did not talk to one person the entire class period, I was very surprised at the amount of communication I was able to perceive. Every time I would pick my head up I would notice body language from my classmates. Mostly pen tapping, some hair curling, and a few foot taps. I caught myself tapping my foot as well. This told me that people were most definitely stressed and very focused on the exam, despite no dialogue. I learned from this assignment that body language is the best communication for stress and anxiety levels.
            After classes concluded and I settled back in my room, I disconnected from all electronics for the hour. My roommates all happened to be in class so I was in the room alone and the hour was truly beneficial. I felt free in a way, which made me realize that keeping up with social media can be overwhelming. I was able to plan the rest of my day and have time to just relax, which is something I fail to often do. My roommates came back about an hour later, and the first thing they did was show me a video on their phones, which was ironic. When I returned on my phone there were two instances where my roommate was talking to me and I failed to notice because I was focused on social media.   

I found this self-analysis to be quite interesting and I enjoyed taking a new approach to my everyday activities. I learned from chemistry that body language can often tell you a lot more about someone’s current stress than other forms of communication. I also learned first-hand that technology absolute effects the depth and duration of talking face to face. I have also realized that it can be effective to take that hour break from technology every once and a while to enhance your ability to relax and reflect on yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment