Sunday, October 29, 2017

Examen 2

Michael Kutka
Examen 2
Examen 2
Coming into Examen 2, I had different expectations than I previously had for Examen 1. I now have experience in a social experiment so I can better make predictions as to what will happen. Although excited for this experiment, I believed my usual honest-self would be hindered due to the kindness I must exhibited through the day. My friends and I all have great relationships; despite the fact we are mean and continuously make fun of each other for almost everything we do. Myself specifically is often the most brutal but honest friend in our group. As a whole, we constantly make jokes. Most however, are out of love and serve as a mechanism to push each other to our maximum potential. With this being said, I figured this experiment would cause my roommates to believe there was something seriously wrong with me. In fact, I was right.
It was Saturday, October 28th and my alarm sounded with a reminder to start my social experiment. I purposely did not tell my friends about this assignment so they can be as confused as possible throughout the day. My direct roommate was lying in bed awake and I immediately said, “good morning bro.” He sat up, turned around, looked at me and started to laugh. He replied with a “good morning” as well, but it was much less sincere. Following this rare conversation, I made my way into my suitemates’ room and repeated my action. As I expected, they looked at me as if I had four heads. The experiment was off to a great start. We soon got dressed and headed down to breakfast. We were all dressed in our usual grungy outfits besides my friend Rob who happened to be wearing a Ralph Lauren t-shirt. During the elevator ride I turned towards him and said, “That shirt looks good on you, Rob.” Once again extremely confused, Rob said, “Thanks?” and my friend Will chimed in saying, “damn Mike. what the hell did you smoke this morning.” The day continued while my kindness remained at an all-time high and I constantly offered advice to friends and acquaintances. Each person was truly thankful for my input. In fact, one of my acquaintances bought me a snack to show his appreciation for my help in his biology class. Before heading out at night, me and my roommates often visit our girl neighbors. Saturday night, they were all dressed up in their Halloween costumes and I complimented them each on their appearance. It genuinely made them happy and they each responded with a big smile.
I truly believe I got the most I could have out of this assignment. I got a ton of results and I had an overall great day. Also, I learned a lot about myself and some improvements I can make in my everyday life. I value my honesty as a person, however I did realize I am often harsh, even if it is unintended. I believe I can improve as a person if I find a happy medium between my normal-self and the self I portrayed on Saturday. This assignment also reminded me how great it feels to go out of your way to help, advise, or compliment someone, even if it is just a small insight. Overall, this assignment was fun and helped better myself as a Jesuit-educated student.







No comments:

Post a Comment