Monday, October 30, 2017

iExamen 2

Matt Potvin
Dr. Ellis

iExamen 2

Moving into iExamen two I was extremely excited to continue observing my daily routine as well as the dexterity of my communication. Aware of the benefits I received from last month’s assignment, I dedicated Friday to complete iExamen two’s communication requirements. I found this task much more difficult than the previous, in its stress of a completely honest, kind, and advantageous delivery. Although I never find myself communicating in a malicious, dishonest way, the importance of complete honesty and value in my interaction with others required constant thought. Others quickly noticed the difference in my communication, most likely stemming from the paucity of my comments in an environment that feeds off of joking remarks. It wasn’t even midway through my day, and I realized the absence these three virtues had in the overall form of communication among some of my closest friends.
            As discovered last assignment the absence of technology drastically changes social interaction and the way we interpret technologies effect on our generation. Similarly, in this assignment I found it extremely hard not to indulge in some of the insincerity social media provokes. Specifically, I saw the biggest temptation in a snapchat group chat with my roommates. Within it, my roommates were rambling on about their halloweekend all the while poking fun at one another. Making remarks only centralized within the assignment I found myself carefully analyzing my responses, rather than firing back quips. And although the comments being made weren’t hostile, technology proved to be an outlet to adverse modes of communication.
            The playful chirping among my friends can also be seen as a mode of communication in “The Gilded Six-Bit” by Zora Neale Hurtson. Within the poem the author scripts the couple bickering lightly. As the poem develops, the reader realizes the couples bickering is a frequent occurrence and signifies a playful interaction ending in love. As stressed in this poem and assignment it’s a lot harder to withhold unconventional remarks to those you are close with. I believe the difference could stem from human natures neediness of social acceptance and the fear people less associated with you may misinterpret your playful banter. In correlation, I found honesty, kindness, and sincerity much more natural in public interaction.

I chose to complete this assignment on Friday, October 27. Choosing Friday was a multi-aspect decision made through the amount of free time experienced in addition to my interactions within an academic environment. I found it extremely easy to make useful comments in the classroom. Relating back to the external environments, in class most of the things I said were natural and unprovoked bolstering kind, useful, and true characteristics. I found that the classroom was naturally an environment a majority of my peers also displayed positive forms of communication observing most comments were either kind, useful, and true on a more frequent basis than when in my dorm.
          
The past two assignments have truly made me realize the importance of self-observation and reflection. Communication is a central part of our lives, and the iExamen assignments uniquely challenge’s us to observe our interactions and its impact on the world around us.  This assignments specific practice of expressing only kind, useful, and true comments resulted in another successful experience. Following the assignment, I thought back to my high school motto “Privilege and Responsibility.” I believe we all have the privilege of being able to communicate freely and the responsibility to better our relationships and community through kind, honest, and useful dialogue.


-Matthew Potvin

No comments:

Post a Comment