Sunday, October 29, 2017

Kind, Useful, and True iExamen 2

Kristen Glass
Kind, Useful, and True
When I first read this assignment, I thought that it was going to be easy. I believe I am  a kind person, so observing my words for one day would not affect my daily communication. However, being kind is not the only criteria. Communication that is kind, useful, and true is more difficult to convey than I originally believed. In fact, throughout the day, I found myself in silence because I was at loss for words. I noticed that sometimes, my communication was useless and did not add any new perspective on the conversation. During the day, I paid attention to how my words affected others and if I was practicing true kindness.
My Messina class took a trip to Washington D.C. on Saturday, so I woke up early to catch the bus. I did not communicate with anyone until I arrived to the bus stop. A few classmates grumbled about the cold, early morning and I agreed. A few minutes later, my professor walked up to our group and announced that she got engaged the previous night. We all jumped up and down and screamed with delight. It was a moment of pure happiness expressed by our actions and the best example of kind, useful, and true communication I noted throughout the day. Our words alone cannot always define our feelings.
When we arrived to D.C., we visited to Holocaust Museum, which was compelling and sorrowful alike. The images and stories of the victims were haunting, and it put life into perspective. The mood of the museum was somber as visitors read the about the history of the Holocaust in each exhibit. It was silent except for a few whispers and the sound of historical videos. I only spoke to my group to ask where we were walking next or to express shock about the treatment of the Jewish people. The quiet was peaceful and allowed me to think clearly about the significance of the Holocaust.
When my class arrived back to campus, a few girls wanted to bake cupcakes and hang out. My first reaction was to tell them that I would go, but later on cancel because I wanted to get some things done at my apartment. However, that was not being truthful, nor was it kind. So, I told the girls the truth and that I would not be able to bake. I found that this communication was kinder than what I would normally do, and plan to use this method again in the future. Telling friends that you can hang out when you know that you have a conflict is unfair to the friend. Complete honesty is kinder and more useful than little lies.
My communication throughout the day changed when I observed myself. I was more quiet and aware of my surroundings. However, I maintained kindness and determined what words were truly useful. Following the three criteria was more difficult to complete than I initially thought, because it required me to actually think before I spoke. I realized that I oftentimes speak without reflection, which is not always wise. Now, I will strive to always think about the impact of my words on others.
Through my observation, I learned that kindness can be simply spread. Just a few words can brighten anyone’s day and a smile goes a long way. When our professor told us her big news, our reaction made her excited. Also, silence is not a bad thing; it allows for self-reflection and communication. In the museum, the people were solemn, and the silence gave them power to comprehend the enormity of the the information. When my friends wanted to hang out, I understood that even a small lie is hurtful, so I told them the truth. Truthfulness is direct and clear communication that forms trust between people and I better understand its importance.

Overall, this assignment taught me to observe my communication more often. Sometimes listening is more useful than incessant chatter. Silence allows us to think about the deeper meanings and make tough decisions. I enjoyed this assignment and hope to practice the many lessons I learned from it today.

No comments:

Post a Comment