Sunday, October 1, 2017

iExamen 1

Kristen Glass
iExamen 1
I did not realize how difficult stepping away from technology would be, though only for a short time. On Friday, the day I chose to observe my communication, I continuously restarted my hour because I checked my phone and computer out of habit. Through this observation I learned that I relied on my phone and computer for everything- from completing homework to watching T.V. Yet, I noticed that everyone else was addicted to technology as well. Our digitally-driven society relies on technology to communicate with one another, but face-to-face communication and body language will always thrive.
On Friday morning, I wore comfortable clothes and threw my hair into a ponytail. My outfit communicated my comfort and readiness for the week to be over. I chatted with my roommates about the upcoming weekend and looked to see if I had any new messages on my phone. I sent my brother a Snapchat message and then headed off to my first class at 9 a.m.
Throughout the day, I noticed that most students who were alone walked with their heads down, eyes focused on their phones. Those in groups talked among themselves, but they glanced at their phones constantly every couple seconds. It was a gorgeous day, and everyone was missing the beauty of the Quad because they were consumed with their screens. I made an attempt to notice the cloudless blue sky and sunlight filtering through the trees and it took my breath away.
My classes often encourage face-to-face communication, so students were more interactive. On Friday, I took notes for a lecture in biology, endured a chemistry exam, and attempted to decipher what my Spanish professor was saying. During class, I did not have time to check my phone. However, technology aided the lessons; Powerpoints enhanced the lectures and allowed for a clearer understanding of a topic.
Besides technology, body language is a decisive indicator of emotions. During my chemistry exam, I tapped my foot and took many deep breaths. Before the test papers were passed around, exasperated sighs and nervous chatter filled the room. It was easy to tell that everyone was anxious because of their behavior. No words or texts were needed to understand their emotions.
Though digital communication is on the rise, basic human interaction will never truly fade. I will always have extensive conversations will my roommates because I enjoy spending time with them in person. However, technology can bridge the gap between distance and loved ones, which is a positive innovation. For instance, I called my family that evening to hear about their day and it comforted me to hear their voices.

Overall, technology-based interactions are the most popular forms of communication. Most students throughout the day had a phone or laptop with them. I was surprised how much I depended on technology; I could not live without it. However, I continued to see people interacting face-to-face and give non-verbal signals. These in-person interactions are the most effective formats of communication because tone and body language can be read accordingly. Tone cannot be heard through text, which may muddle the meaning of the message. I learned that as our formats of communication change, our messages will continue to be heard through technology and face-to-face interactions alike.

No comments:

Post a Comment