Monday, October 30, 2017

iExamen 2

While partaking in iExamen 2, I noticed a lot about what people believe to be "appropriate conversation". The way we talk to one another is often very insulting and short. Some may see this form of communication as comical and a way of bonding. However, as i went through the day and made sure to make each and every one of my interactions were kind, useful, and true, I found my interactions to be less personal and more pressured to be the "right" type of interaction.

I chose this past Sunday to conduct the full experiment. I knew that it would be a more relaxed, yet social day where I would be able to interact with both friends and family, either in person or via phone. Throughout the day I found myself not reaching for my phone as much, and thinking about what I was saying to those around me. The reaction of my newly found choice of communication was somewhat comical. My friends described me as "happy" and "in a good mood" for the rest of the day. I did not tell them about the task of iExamen 2 until the day was complete for I did not want their knowledge to affect their reaction to my mood and choice of words. 

I found iExamen 2 very interesting because of the way people viewed me, as well as the flow of communication it provided. I found that communication did not flow as easily while I made sure that all of my communications used the three conditions; kind, useful, and true. My friends and I have a very interesting, yet comical interaction with one another. We commonly joke around with one another in an attempt to get under each others skin. This is also seen as an aspect of "closeness" between individuals, which may explain why our conversations did not flow as well Sunday, as well as the estranged feeling that did not subside.

No comments:

Post a Comment